Westlake Charter Amendment re Appointment of Law Director
Issue 54 on the ballot. Ballot language: Shall Article IV Sections IV-2a and IV-4 and Article VII Section VII-3 of the Charter of the City of Westlake be amended to provide that the Mayor shall appoint the Director of Law without confirmation of Council, and to no longer provide for the election of the Director of Law, effective December 31, 2017?A majority affirmative vote is required for passage.
CHOOSE TWO CANDIDATES FROM BELOW TO COMPARE
Yes - For the Measure
No - Against the Measure
Pro and Con Arguments For and Against the Measure
1. Allows city/mayor to seek candidates from a much larger pool than just residents and those willing to run for election
2. Brings Westlake in line with most other Northeast Ohio communities that have long had appointed law directors
3. Eliminates position holder’s time-consuming activities involved in running for election and re-election
1. Does not provide for majority Council confirmation of Mayor’s preferred candidate and thus could create conflicts that are not in the best interests of the city
2. Did not result from a charter review, which is the usual source of citizen input for major changes in city operations
3. Would allow the appointed Director of Law to assume the vacant office of Acting Mayor if the President of Council cannot do so
To make a selection for a candidate you must first find your races. Would you like to find your races now?
You have already selected the maximum number of candidates for this race.
You must uncheck an existing selection before making another selection.