David Douglas School District, Pos. 2
Term: 4 yearsSalary: UnpaidThe School Board is the policy-making body of the school district. It is responsible for providing an education program for students living within the District. To accomplish its role, the Board: Determines the long-range direction of the District Establishes policies that direct the instructional and support programs Employs and evaluates the Superintendent Communicates with the community Negotiates with employee groups to determine salaries and benefits Calls elections on bond proposals Approves the annual budget
CHOOSE TWO CANDIDATES FROM BELOW TO COMPARE
Joshua Michael Gray (N)
Stephanie Stephens (N)
Co-Founder, Unite Oregon; Instructor, Diversity and Civic Leadership Program, City of Portland; Grant Writer
Significant policy changes in public education are being considered at the federal and state level. Describe a change that you agree or disagree with and explain your position.
What do you think are the top three equity issues in the district and how will you address them?
What principles will you apply to evaluating recommendations from the superintendent with regard to which programs to reduce in a time of constrained funding?
I agree with giving the powers in the rightsback to the states. We should decide how and what to educate our children on. I think it's important we are able to choose and decide the information provided to her children within the schools.
The laws and regulations that are on the books Are upheld by those in a position to a uphold them. I think stronger disciplinary action for those who violate others protect legal classes. There must be a strict standard to protect all of the children and there must be a universal standard within the district to protect everyone's rights, religious believes, school of choice, and everyone's voice. These are the issues that I will continue to fight for to protect kids.
In the voice of the people is very important to me I know that there are many individuals that will speak out in opposition to principles and I will listen to the voice bring these matters to the superintendent in with the other school board members we will evaluate if the principal effects of safety and security of the children it's most important to me that the children are able to just focus on school not focus on their rights being violated or the struggles that might be out side of school.
Two decades of experience in public policy development, budget management, and community-building; co-founder of a nonprofit that unites diverse communities and brings people together to solve complex problems and achieve results with limited funding
I am opposed to outsourcing public services to for-profit entities, the push to privatize public schools, voucher programs, and the “school choice” initiatives put forward by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. Public education should remain public. Rather than robbing struggling schools of resources, we need to invest in them.
1. Parent Engagement. Create partnerships that bridge the cultural divide between our schools and the neighborhoods they serve.
2. Disproportionate Suspension Rates for Black Students. Examine root causes of the disparity and target culturally responsive interventions; employ restorative, non-punitive actions that keep kids in school.
3. Teen Pregnancy. Girls of color are over-represented; provide the full range of reproductive health services at district’s school based health center.
1. Keep Dollars in the Classroom. We must prioritize the education of our children first and foremost.
2. Ensure Equity. We cannot afford to widen the achievement gap for immigrants, refugees, and students of color.
3. Protect Workers. Ensuring living wages and benefits even in tough times. Our employees are our district’s best asset.
4. Leverage Resources and Community Capacity. Augment programs and services with community resources and partnerships where possible.
To make a selection for a candidate you must first find your races. Would you like to find your races now?
You have already selected the maximum number of candidates for this race.
You must uncheck an existing selection before making another selection.