An Act to Restrict Short Term Rentals in Portland
Question E: “An Act to Restrict Short Term Rentals (STRs) in Portland” will restrict all mainland STRs to only those that are owner-occupied. It increases the annual fee for all STRs to $1,000 for each mainland STR and $400 for each island STR. The initiative also increases penalties for, and requires the Department of Permitting and Inspections to, maintain a log of complaints against STRs, and allows the city to revoke STR licenses for any violations.”What does it mean? This question seeks to bring Portland’s short term rental policy into compliance with residential zoning intent, by conserving existing housing stock and maintaining the residential character of neighborhoods by controlling the impacts of commercial and non-residential uses. It will also align Portland closer to several other municipality STR ordinances such South Portland’s STR ordinance by only allowing owner occupied units within residential zones as well as making stronger the enforcement language of STR violations.
Click a candidate icon to find more information about the candidate. To compare two candidates, click the "compare" button. To start over, click a candidate icon.
Yes - For the Measure
No - Against the Measure
What would this choice mean?
* Will return at least 2.5% of Portland’s available rentals (est. at least 400 units) to the long-term rental market, lowering rents as a result.
* Will stabilize neighborhoods and increase community cohesion as long-term residents replace tourists.
* Allows short-term rental of owner-occupied units.
* Strengthens enforcement and provides a process for filing and logging complaints
* Increases housing supply without increasing Portland’s carbon footprint through new building.
* Restricting short-term rentals increases the demand for hotels
* The ordinance would cost income to people who rent out their homes to make ends meet
* Tourism, including short-term rentals, is an important part of the local economy
* Short term rentals are already regulated enough
To make a selection for a candidate you must first find your races. Would you like to find your races now?
You have already selected the maximum number of candidates for this race.
You must uncheck an existing selection before making another selection.