Colorado State House District 49
The Colorado House of Representatives is the lower house of the Colorado General Assembly, the State legislature of the U.S. state of Colorado. The House is composed of 65 members. Representatives are elected to two-year terms, and are limited to four terms in office but can run again after a two-year respite. The entire House is elected in each general election.Watch the Candidate Forum video HERE.NOTE: This Candidate Forum covers the CO Senate Dist 23, CO House Districts 49, and 51. Cámara de Representantes de ColoradoLa Cámara de Representantes de Colorado es la cámara inferior de la Asamblea General de Colorado, la legislatura Estatal del estado de Colorado de los EE.UU. La Cámara de Representantes está compuesta por 65 miembros. Los Representantes son elegidos para servir mandatos de dos años, y están limitados a servir cuatro mandatos, pero pueden volver a postularse después de un descanso de dos años. Se elige a la Cámara entera en cada elección general.__________ELECTION INFO: General Election ballots will start to be mailed on October 9th, 2020. Voter Service and Polling Centers open on Monday, October 19th, 2020. Ballots must be received via mail or at drop-off no later than Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020, by 7 pm. If you have not received your ballot or need a replacement, contact your local Clerk & Recorder Elections Office.INFROMACIÓN SOBRE LAS ELECCIONES: Las papeletas de votación para las Elecciones Generales empezarán a ser enviadas el 9 de octubre del 2020. Los Centros de Servicios Electorales se abren el lunes, 19 de octubre del 2020. Las papeletas electorales deben ser enviadas por correo o entregadas en un centro de entrega a más tardar a las 7pm el martes, 3 de noviembre del 2020. Si no ha recibido su papeleta electoral o necesita un reemplazo, comuníquese con su Funcionario Oficial de la Oficina de Elecciones local.
Click a candidate icon to find more information about the candidate. To compare two candidates, click the "compare" button. To start over, click a candidate icon.
Yara Hanlin Zokaie
What is your number one priority and why?
How will you address the economic crisis that has resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic?
Candidate has not yet responded.
Candidate has not yet responded.
Yara is a child of immigrants. She is a tax attorney that represents small businesses against the IRS and CO Department of Revenue. She is also a mom to two little boys. Yara rejects corporate and lobbyist money because she wants to represent the people, not giant corporations.
My number on priority is passing a coronavirus relief package. The economic fallout caused by coronavirus is the number one issue facing our state. I explain the details of this package in my answer to the second question.
My other priorities include:
- Fair Tax Code: Right now the middle and lower class pay a greater portion of their income in taxes than the wealthy (those making over $500,000 annually) and giant corporations. We need a fair tax code that alleviates this burden from the middle and lower class and makes the rich pay their fair share.
- Paid Family Leave
- Universal Pre-K
- Accessible Affordable Healthcare for all Coloradoans
- Investment in Our Teachers and Public Schools
- Advocating to the Federal Government to Protect Social Security
- Getting Money Out of Politics
The first thing I will do once elected is fight to pass a comprehensive coronavirus relief package. This will include:
1) Relief to individuals and small businesses: I trust stimulus money in the hands of the people in my district, as they know best what their needs are as we work together as a community to recover. I would also offer an excellent loan package to our small businesses.
2) Changing the tax treatment of the PPP loan: Currently our small businesses are not able to deduct expenses paid for by the PPP loan, which can drive up their tax bill. I want to change that.
3) Ensuring coronavirus related healthcare is covered: No one should go bankrupt because they got sick during the pandemic. I want to ensure that any coronavirus related treatment is 100% covered. This will also help to prevent outbreaks as it ensures sick workers are getting the care they need if they feel sick and not coming in to work.
We can pay for this package by closing corporate tax loopholes
To make a selection for a candidate you must first find your races. Would you like to find your races now?
You have already selected the maximum number of candidates for this race.
You must uncheck an existing selection before making another selection.