SAMPLE City Referendum with Pro and Con Argument
Establishing a Maximum Number of Terms for City Councilmembers and the Mayor - Shall Section 9 of Article IV of the City Charter be amended to provide that: no person may serve more than four (4) consecutive two-year terms as a city councilmember without a two-year break in service; no person may serve more than four (4) consecutive two-year terms as mayor without a two-year break in service; no person may serve more than four (4) consecutive two-year terms as a city councilmember and four (4) consecutive two-year terms as mayor, for a total of eight (8) consecutive two-year terms combined, without a two-year break in service; a term includes any period of service during a term; and term limits are to be applied retroactively?
Click a candidate icon to find more information about the candidate. To compare two candidates, click the "compare" button. To start over, click a candidate icon.
Yes - For the Measure
No - Against the Measure
Arguments for and against the proposition:
1. Change insures no “dynasty” of leadership is established.
2. Mandatory breaks in service encourage more candidates for office as some folks are reluctant to run against incumbents.
3. New council members will bring fresh ideas and enthusiasm to the job.
4. There is no direct fiscal impact to these proposed changes.
1. Term limits are unnecessary. Voters can decline to reelect a candidate at any election.
2. The skill and experience of good councilmembers would be lost.
3. It is difficult to find enough good people to run for office with current rules, and would be more difficult if turnover were forced due to term limits.
4. Retroactively applying these changes is unfair to current Councilmembers.
5. Forcing Councilmembers not to run for reelection could trigger an election, and the costs associated, when no election would have occurred without this change.
To make a selection for a candidate you must first find your races. Would you like to find your races now?
You have already selected the maximum number of candidates for this race.
You must uncheck an existing selection before making another selection.