Change Address

VOTE411 Voter Guide

NM State Senator District 40

Represents a district in the New Mexico State Senate, which has 42 members. In odd-numbered years, the legislature meets for 60 days; in even-numbered years, it meets for 30 days. The Governor may call for special sessions. Senators sponsor and vote on “reasonable and appropriate laws,” represent the constituents of their districts, and serve on legislative committees. Positions are unpaid, except for per diem expenses. Elected for a four-year term.

Click a candidate icon to find more information about the candidate. To compare two candidates, click the "compare" button. To start over, click a candidate icon.

  • Candidate picture

    Craig W Brandt
    (Rep)

  • Candidate picture

    Amina N Everett
    (Dem)

Biographical Information

What abilities do you have that qualify you for this office?

What is your top priority, and how do you plan to address it?

What additional water policies and actions, if any, are needed in New Mexico?

What, if anything, should be done to improve public safety?

What programs or actions, if any, would you support to provide more affordable housing?

How can New Mexico diversify its economy?

Should legislators be paid a salary? Why or why not?

Campaign Mailing Address PO Box 44724
Rio Rancho, NM 87174
Campaign Phone 505-503-5001
Campaign Email senateforty@gmail.com
Twitter @craig4nm
Occupation Disabled Veteran
I have submitted and passed several bills to help our schools and our community. I understand the rules of the Senate and have successfully argued the rules many times. I actually read every bill before I vote on them. I was an analyst and know where to look and what to look for to try to stop bills that have unintended consequences that hurt our state.
The crime in our state has gone beyond a critical point. We must keep criminals behind bars and enforce all our laws to protect our communities. I bought a crime package last session and will continue to do so until the majority party decides to take crime seriously. Our RICO statute is horrible. I have worked with the AG, Governor and DA's Association to fix our RICO law only to have the Democrats not schedule it for a hearing in Judiciary. How much crime do we have to endure, BEFORE THEY ACT?
I think if the City of Albuquerque would quit wasting water by overwatering and watering outside of recommended hours, that would be helpful. Our Federal Government has over planted our forest to the point that the water doesn't break through the canopy. We should look to the Mescalero Apache Tribe to learn how to manage our forest for our climate.
Support our law enforcement not attack them. Make sure criminals are held accountable for their crimes. Go after the organized crime groups that are destroying our state. Take human trafficking seriously. Close the border so that fentanyl doesn't keep flowing into our state. Provide the communications equipment and other equipment that our front line officers need.
Get government out of the way. They have rent control in New York, it doesn't work. Interest rates under Biden's economy going over 7% makes buying a home impossible for all but the rich. But, many that was just what Biden wanted. More people dependent on government and less free.
The executive can quit making it so hard to open and run a business in our state. Lower regulation and government interference. Stop trying to force all of our young adults to go to college. Only 20% of High School graduates in NM will go on to get a college diploma. We must quit ignoring the other 80%. Career Technical education must become a priority. Let's help young adults get into great careers in NM without thousands of dollars of debt.
NO! We do not need more professional politicians in our state. Right now our legislators come from a variety of backgrounds with lots of different experiences. If we professionalize it we will just have a bunch of politicians and bureaucrats. Just look at the Federal government, No thanks.
Campaign Phone 505-457-5030
Campaign Email amina.everett@comcast.net
Campaign Website http://Everett4Senate40.org
Occupation Personal Host
25 years of public service in State and Local government managing people and programs.
Public Infrastructure and quality of life related to water access and sustainability. Work with all relevant leadership to get funding for ICIP (Infrastructure and Capital Improvement Plan) for Rio Rancho.
Recycling of surface water in conjunction with replenishing the underground aquafer
Support and enforce responsibility for gun security and safety.
Tax credits to incentivize financing affordable housing throughout the state.
Economy is diverse but very dependent on gas and oil industry. Green technology programs could enhance our overall economy.
A salary would help professionalize the legislature however I think the current status is unique and beneficial to the State and budget.