In 2014 I was proud to help lead communications efforts at the State Capitol to pass the Women's Economic Security Act. This was a positive step forward, but women still face a significant pay gap in Minnesota. I will work to expand access to jobs in higher-paying fields where women still lack access to equal employment opportunities. I will fight for guaranteed paid family leave for all Minnesota workers as well.
No matter your zip code, every Minnesota child deserves a world-class education. Yet Minnesota has one of the worst opportunity gaps in the country. We need to recognize our top economic priority for the future is to invest in education and ensure all of our students have access to a world-class public education. My priorities:
- Close the opportunity gap by making strong investments in pre-K education so that all students are better prepared to learn by kindergarten
- Stop squeezing our schools and start making investments that allow our schools to offer our students a top-notch education
- Reform standardized testing and offer more support for our teachers, who each day are shaping young minds
The economy is going well for those at the very top, but far too many are struggling to get by. The cost of rent, child care, tuition, prescription drugs all continue to skyrocket far past wages and it's squeezing families across the state. I will fight for an economy that works better for everyone. My priorities:
- Raise the minimum wage to $15/hour
- Guaranteed access to paid family leave for Minnesota workers
- Fight back against Big Pharma to reduce the cost of prescription drugs
- Address our affordable housing crisis
It’s time to act on gun violence prevention. I will stand up to the NRA and work with our young community leaders who are demanding urgent action to pass common-sense gun reforms. My priorities:
- Automatic background checks on all guns sales – no exceptions
- Pass red flag laws that will help keep guns out of the hands of the dangerous mentally ill and domestic abusers
- Ban bump stocks, restrict magazine capacity and prohibit future sale of military-style assault weapons
We have a broken immigration system in this country and our elected officials in Washington D.C. have failed to take action. We can show leadership here in Minnesota by recognizing that we are a nation of immigrants, stronger together. As state representative, I will work with our immigrant community to create change that makes our community and state a more welcoming, safe, and thriving place for everyone.